At Hereford Sixth Form College we place great emphasis on supporting and guiding you personally and academically. Your progress and well-being are important to us and we will do everything we can to try to ensure that you make your time here as enjoyable and productive as possible.
On entry to the College, you will be allocated to a Personal Tutor who will be responsible for monitoring your academic progress and welfare. The Personal Tutors are managed by Directors of Studies, who co-ordinate the work of the Personal Tutors and oversee student programmes and also provide advice guidance and support for students if concerns arise.
The role of the Personal Tutor
The Personal Tutor is a key person for each student. All Tutors will fulfil the following responsibilities for their tutees:
- Know each student in the group individually and monitor their progress and welfare referring them onto the Director of Studies or other student support service if a need arises.
- Communicate important cross College information to the students in their tutor group.
- Monitor attendance and punctuality of their tutees on a weekly basis and challenge any concerns that may have been raised.
- Monitor progress, mainly through progress reviews and one to one interviews which are scheduled during the academic year.
- Guide with initial careers and higher education advice and help with the university application process.
- Write a reference in collaboration with subject teachers for each of their tutees.
Directors of Studies Assistants
The role of the Director of Studies
The Director of Studies supports personal tutors within their team and sees students who may need extra advice or guidance.
The Director of Studies will:
- Discuss and advise on changes of course.
- Follow up on persistent absences and/or lateness.
- Liaise with personal tutors regarding any students identified as causing serious concerns.
- Manage and deal with disciplinary concerns and monitor students on Contract.
- Contact parents if the College has concerns about a student.
- Respond to any parents’ concerns.
- Deal with any more complex problems that may arise and support students who may be experiencing issues with regards to their personal welfare or any safeguarding issues which may arise.
- Discuss equality, diversity and inclusion issues and help to advance equality and diversity.
- Deal with any reports of bullying or personal harassment.
- Liaise with external agencies to guide, advise and support students.
It is important that you can make informed choices and we give high priority to careers guidance. The Personal Tutors and Directors of Studies work closely with our well resourced Careers Department.
You will receive comprehensive information outlining College procedures when you start your courses. Further details are also provided for parents at this time. An induction course for new students is run during the first few days of your time in College.
Parents who wish to see a Personal Tutor or Director of Studies, or a member of the Careers Department on behalf of their son or daughter may arrange an interview through the College Office. There are regular Parents' Evenings at which advice on students’ progress as well as access to careers and higher education information.
Student meeting with her Director of Studies
Hereford Sixth Form College was a fantastic place to study and I'll never forget my time there or the tutors that helped me. You have an increase of freedom at college and the mutual respect you receive from tutors is fantastic.